According to a recent study, there are 600 million more people on our planet that use a mobile phone compared to those than a toothbrush. This means that of the 4.8 billion mobile users on the planet, only 4.2 of them also own a toothbrush. As the social media landscape expands, there are countless facts, figures and statistics that have emerged along with it. Statistics have surfaced as a vital tool in not only explaining the importance of social media to potential clients, but also illustrating the value or social media ROI.
Statistics can be used to make important decisions regarding social media, or to justify new strategies and tactics to the CEO. As the social media landscape changes rapidly, keeping up with the latest numbers, figures and trends makes it easier to focus your social media strategy and efforts.
Here is a list of relevant social media facts, figures and statistics to
keep in mind while developing a social media strategy:
- · One in every nine people on Earth is on Facebook (calculated by dividing the planets 6.94 billion people by Facebook's 750 million users)
- · Twitter is adding nearly 500,000 users a day
- · People spend 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
- · More than 250 million people access Facebook through their mobile devices
- · Flickr hosts over 5 billion images
- · YouTube has 490 million unique users who visit every month (as of February 2011)
- · Google+ has more than 25 million users
- · 190 million average Tweets per day occur on Twitter